This homemade Thai Massaman Curry is a healthy variation of the traditional Thai dish. Instead of loading it with coconut and potatoes, this healthy recipe substitutes these ingredients with evaporated milk and kumara, or sweet potato. This delicious fragrant Thai curry is very easy one pot meal to make. You can either make the Thai massaman curry paste from scratch using the recipe provided below or you can buy ready made massaman paste from an Asian supermarket. You can make this curry as hot as you like by increasing the quantity of red chillies in the paste. This a mouth watering meal that the whole family will enjoy. If you prefer spicier food, then give this Indian Beef Curry a try.
1 hour 30 mins
*Note: Calories and saturated fats value are on a per serving basis.
How To Make Thai Massaman Curry Recipe
For The Massaman Curry:
- Add the meat and salt and cook until meat is browned.
- Add massaman curry paste and 1/2 can of evaporated milk and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add stock, remaining evaporated milk, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves and cook for 1 hour.
- Add kumara, tamarind, fish sauce, and palm sugar and cook till meat and kumara is tender. (Add a little water if needed.
- Garnish with peanuts and spring onions, and serve with rice.
Massaman Curry Paste
Combine ground spices (coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamon, cloves) in a frying pan and stir over medium heat till fragrant. Place all remaining ingredients together with the roasted spices in a food processor and blend into a smooth paste. Enjoy your massaman curry!