What Is Ideal Body Weight or IBW?
Ideal Body Weight or IBW is a term that refers to expected or optimal body weight for good health that correlates with longevity. There are various formulas and height-weight tables developed by life insurance companies to calculate IBW. The formulas used to calculate ideal body weight are based on gender and height for an adult between the ages of 20-25. However, the human body is a complex entity, and any formula will have limitations. For example, body composition (i.e. percentage of fat, bone and muscle) affects weight. So if you are a very athletic or muscular person, you may weigh more than a person with the same height and body frame size who is less active. Having said that, the concept of ideal weight is used as a general guideline by health practitioners for gauging healthy weight. To be more effective, use this IBW ideal body weight calculator in conjunction with other measures such as body mass index (BMI)and Waist To Hip Ratio (WHR).
Some of the most popular Ideal Body Weight formulas are:
- Hamwi formula developed in 1964 to aid doctors in working out dosages of medicines.
- Devine formula developed in 1974 also for medicinal dosages.
- Robinson formula which modified the Devine formula in 1983.
- Miller formula which is also a modification of the Devine formula from 1983.
Our ideal body weight calculator provides results using the Robinson Formula and also the Devine formula for comparison. In addition, you can look up your ideal weight using the Metropolitan Life Insurance Ideal Weight Tables which are reproduced below. These take into account body frame size, and give a range for ideal weight instead of a single value, which may be more useful.
Ideal Body Weight (IBW) Calculator
Ideal Weight Tables
The IBW charts below reflect weight including indoor clothing. The first step is to find out what your body frame size is by measuring your wrist.
Body Frame Size
The size of your wrist is a good indicator of your body frame size as wrists do not change size with weight, unless you are very obese.
- Measure your wrist circumference (in cm) – use the cm<>in conversion button if you’re using inches.
- Use the tables below to determine your body frame size.
- Once you know your body frame size, look up your optimal weight in the ideal weight tables for your gender. You will need to know your height as well.
|Description||Small Frame||Medium Frame||Large Frame|
Under 15.9 cm
Over 17.8 cm
Under 13.3 cm
Over 15.2 cm
Ideal Weight Tables For Men and Women
|Height||Small Frame||Medium Frame||Large Frame|
If you’re looking for ways to lose weight and need to shed a few pounds quickly try the 3 day military diet. While this not really a long term sustainable diet it may help get you started on a weight loss program.